GATHERING THE EVIDENCE
Tools necessary to prove a prerecorded telephone solicitation or
- A recording device (tape recorder) for the telephone line:
A caller ID device:
- This should be of the type that is independent of any button
call may request. I recommend either one that is in line before the
unit or connects between the base unit and handset of your telephone.
it close to the telephone so starting the record function can be done
the receiver is picked up.
- It is legal to record telephone calls in the State of Texas.
permission is needed.
- I recommend having two recording devices. The second unit can
transcribe the call and the other is always ready for the next call.
second unit is also a backup if the other unit fails for any reason.
A log book if you don't have a recording device:
- A display type unit that can be easily photographed or the type
out. Two units are even better.
- A digital camera takes good pictures of caller ID devices and
can be archived electronically.
If the caller ID is blocked and there is no information in the
identifies the entity represented by the call - it's time to play
- For making notes on the call. You want to write down names and
information you can get. Write on the right page only. Keep the left
for notes added after the call.
- Leave a code name, not your real name, and a telephone number
on. Be creative with the code name. Jan Olafson is a good one that may
not be listed in the local phone book.
- Call trace (*57) will help if caller ID is blocked. The
may charge for each successful call trace. SouthWestern Bell charges
It will take a subpeona to get the information from the telephone
The telephone company will retain call trace records for two years.
- Call back (*69) has not proven to be very effective. Most
that block caller ID will have a per line blocking service that will
allow call backs.
Commercial E-mail will be dealt with accordingly!
Last update 05/22/01